AIESEC TAIWAN // The Third Week




HOLA! 
Another week, another vlog. Here is my 3rd week in a glance :)


Truthfully, I know that this isn't one of my best edits so if you watched it and was disappointed.. I am sorry :)) But, I tried.  This week was surprisingly not what I expected (in a good way). Going into the week, I remember being really nervous to move to my next host family's home because their english was so-so. I have been use to speaking decent english with the previous 2 teachers/ host families, that it made me think that I will spend a whole week not speaking. Turns out, I got a lot of opportunity to. I was lucky to meet other relatives that could speak decent enough english + the kids were willing to at least learn / go out of their comfort zone to try to speak (by the end of the week, they got the basic english phrases that I always ask such as are you tried? do you like -blah-? are you full? are you hungry? :) ) & if they really didn't understand then Google Translate was right at their finger tips.  

(THE FAM)

Highlights of the Week:
1. Going to Din Tai Fung to try out those steamed buns and dumplings. It was pretty good, just not worth dying for :B The spicy one..possibly. 

2. Visiting a salon to get my hair washed and braided. It's super cheap to get it washed + you get a head massage + a shoulder massage. IT was awesome. The best part of visiting that salon, was bumping into a student there haha.

3. Going bowling, reminded me of how weak I am and how bad I am at bowling LOL

4. Going shopping with the daughter of the host family and cousin ( Han Shin Mall and Xin Jue Jiang). Shopping with just the girls is more fun than with the whole family because then I don't feel bad for taking a little longer than usual. Merp. 

5. Visiting Fo Guang Shan temple. My host family wondered why I would even want to visit the temple because it seems pretty boring to go there. But, I really wanted to see how big it was and since I was already in Taiwan then why not.  


6. Attempting Taiwan's MRT system. Indeed, it was pretty easy to use and navigate. You don't have to worry too much about getting lost because the announcer speaks Mandarin, English and Japanese. As long as you know where you are going, you would just have to listen for it or look for it on the map. I find their ticket buying system to be very environmentally friendly, besides using a pre-loaded card you could also just buy a token. With this token, you just have to wave it over the scanner thing which will open the gates to lead you to the subway. Once you get to your destination you insert your token to open the gates again so that you can exit the subway system. No paper or ticket was printed. I am also amazed that people can get signal down there for their cellphones.

Wonders of the Week:
* I am constantly amazed at Taiwan people and their skin. Most of them have such flawless skin it's unbelievable. I always ask what their skincare routine is, and they all tell me that they just wash it with a facial cleanser and that's it. No moisturizer, no toner, nothing. I then proceed to just stand there thinking honestly what is your secret? because I really need to find this super awesome cleanser  that does magic to your face. 

* If you are thinking of going to anywhere hot and moist definitely pack bug spray! Where it is hot and moist, there must be a lot of bugs too. My bug bites counter is still going on strong at 15. 

* It is finally raining season, which is good for me because more rain = "cooler" weather and more water = less chance of having a drought during my stay in Taiwan. 

* In Taiwan, most places that you visit (like the grocery store, mall and even restaurants) with a car, you would have to pay for parking. Unless, you went to a place where there is parking on the side of the road of course. I was a little surprised when I finally figured that out because in Canada, most parking is free.

* Taiwan fashion is soooOooooOoo admirable. However, the sizes available is not.

Going into my fourth week, with only 3 more weeks left I think it will fly right by.
Until Next Time,
Becca

Leave a Comment

Post a Comment