AIESEC TAIWAN // The First . . .




Hola!


As promised, this is the first vlog :) It records my whole first plane ride of my life, first day of school, and first scooter ride. Surprisingly I didn't cry once during the whole journey but honestly I was trying my hardest not to cry in public LOL.  Because really.. as long as you think you're brave and okay, you will be brave and okay... It's a mindset thing right? 


The thought of traveling alone may have been scary and yes sometimes I really wished that I had a friend or my mom or someone beside me, but in reality, I didn't and it was a very awesome feeling once I reached Taiwan soil by myself. Traveling alone wasn't so bad, as I got to meet some cool people, and got some pre-picked awesome seats (with lots of leg room or a window seat). 
+ I hear that some people actually dislike the flying part of the travel aspect, meanwhile I figured out that I like the flying part. I mean, all I did was eat and sleep on the plane LOL which isn't a bad life to live. 
+ I found out that I don't get nauseous on planes. -DOUBLE SCORE-


Yesterday was my first day, I was expecting to teach but turns out all I had to do was tour the place and go to an assembly to watch their Mother's Day event. It was a good day. Taiwan kids perform at the next level with costumes preparations and great choreography. The mothers got flowers and the teachers even danced too!  

It's only been a day but I already learned so much: Eg,
- in Taiwan, they get 10 min breaks after every class, as oppose to our whole break after 2/3 classes. 
- Taiwan is serious about being environmentally friendly WHICH I LOVE LOL. I see recycling bins being used! I also learned recently that they are trying to conserve water because since it is an island and due to the hot weather, fresh water is limited thus, water needs to be used wisely. According to my host family, in an extreme situation, water resources can be shut down for a day or two to save more. To me it really makes me feel like we take water for granted in North America.
- Taiwan kids are so polite as they tend to greet teachers. 
Some just stare at me and smile or say hello back hesitantly. & there's usually this cute 1 second reflection face after as they realize that they have to continue speaking english to me. 
- I saw my first in-ground'ish toilet LOL.
- Scooter bikes are so convenient.
- Green bean sprouts exist.
- The staff here is so caring, friendly and detailed oriented. Some may be afraid to speak English but they at least try.

Exhibit A: A few staff members helped me prepare materials for this arts activity that I had planned. They wanted to get the exact measurements right for the paper cutouts (6cm by 4cm) but honestly if it was up to me, I wouldn't have cared too much about the size. 

Exhibit B: The staff member helping me with the internet connection tried every possible way to make sure that it would work on my computer. The language barrier made it tougher to do but we got through it! 

- Taiwanese elementary school students gets half days every Wednesday ! ! ! 
- Taiwanese elementary school students and staff members also gets lunch prepared for them everyday. I find it so convenient and pretty nutritious since it's like a home cook meal. 
- 7/11's Caramel Macchiato tastes really good!
- There is such thing as a language called Taiwanese which is similar to Mandarin but still different. Taiwanese is also a dying language just like Cantonese (I feel). Thus, no matter how much Cantonese I know despite it being similar to Mandarin it is only helping me a teensy weensy. 

It has only been 2 days but oh what an experience so far. I am so excited to learn even more and see more for the next 5 weeks. 
When I spoke to my dad yesterday morning, that was when it truly hit me that I am half way across the world and that I really missed my parents and home. Hooowever, just not enough to go back yet. 

Leave a Comment

Post a Comment