HOW TO // Wine and Cheese




At the age that I am now, wine and cheese is like the new oreos with milk. Instead of sharing oreos with your friends, why not try cheese and crackers? 


Recently, I tried putting together a platter for a night-in with my friends. For $24.70, I was able to get 3 types of cheese - smoked gouda, harvarti, and marble cheese, 2 types of crackers - baguette garden herb crackers and breton basil & rosemary oil crackers, 1 package of salami, and 1 package of blueberries. Then I threw in some nuts and grapes from home. I have never made a platter before, but I ate plenty of cheese and crackers from platters before. So taking those into account, I guess you really can't go wrong with having cheddar cheese or mozzarella .. or marble (for the best of both worlds) on the platter. In all honesty, I really don't know how to put together a super impressive one, but for the basics to munch on, I suppose that'll do. 

I tried to do some research prior to buying the ingredients, and I learned the following:
1. Basically just have variety! Consider different textures and flavours for the cheese you would like to put onto the platter and the accompaniments that would go with it. At first, I aimed for a aged (smoked gouda), soft (brie) and firm cheese (jalepeno monterey jack); however, rolling with what I was offered at Walmart that didn't happen. BUT meh I guess it was close enough. 

2. Take out the cheese 30 mins prior to serving to let it set to room temperature.   

3. THREE is a good number of cheese varieties i'd say (or any odd amount).

4. Don't forget about the salami in your fridge LOL.

5. Any fruits are nice to put onto the platter, so that you can refresh your palate. 

Now for the wine portion, these 2 are what I'm currently loving. I am no wine expert to recommend wines to actually pair with cheese, but if you're up for anything then keep reading :) 

(Left: Manischewitz Concord Grape Wine | Right: Arbor Mist Flavoured Wine)

Manischewitz Grape Wine:
I once tried a glass of wine that my boyfriend shoved in my face with the phrase of "try it! it's sweet so you'll probably like it." & he was right, I really did like it. Ever since then, it left a mark in my memory. So for this special occasion I HAD TO FIND THAT WINE. Thankfully with the basic knowledge of "it's a jewish wine in a rectangular shaped bottle", I was able to pick the right bottle at the store. So if you like sweet wines, then try this, it'll surprise you! Another huge plus is that it is less than $10. 

Arbor Mist Flavoured Wine:
My friend recommended this wine, and I'm really glad that I know about this product now. If you're into a fruity sort of wine, then definitely give this one a try. This was also under $10. 

However, if you're not of legal age then I swear just having grapes with the cheese&crackers is already a nice pairing! 

VIOLA! Thanks for reading! I think you're ready to go and plan that wine and cheese night now! It's fairly simple to do, and it goes well with any grape company (; 

Becca

Leave a Comment

Post a Comment